History of the Department
At King Abdulaziz University, KAU, the physics department has high prestige and value since its establishment through these long years. Yet, the department is still based on leading research and innovation. Their faculty members contributed to raising the department's reputation within a leading institution of higher education in Saudi Arabia and giving educational opportunities for many prominent and talented students studying in the department.
The Department of Physics was founded with the Faculty of Science establishment in 1973 (1393 AH), including the Astronomy Division until 1978 (1399 AH), and then the Astronomy Division became an independent department and entirely separated from the Department of Physics.
The department grants a Bachelor of Science degree (B.Sc.) and Master of Science degree (M.Sc.) from its establishment. In 2010, the department beginning to awarded a Doctor of Philosophy degree (Ph.D.). The reasons for establishing the department are the following:
1. In 1974, the Council of Ministers of Saudi Arabia determined to consolidate the university with the government, transforming it into a public university.
2. To teach Physics to students at KAU and develop their critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and conduct research.
3. To contribute to resolving scientific, environmental, and industrial difficulties facing the development plans in Saudi Arabia or globally.
4. To prepare Physicists and contribute to impacting the community, the economy, and future careers.